☰ Menu

January Newsletter

Posted on: January 9th, 2020

January 2020

 Happy New Year!

Chiropractic Care for Headaches

If you have a headache, you’re not alone. Nine out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches. Some are occasional, some frequent, some are dull and throbbing, and some cause debilitating pain and nausea. What do you do when you suffer from a pounding headache? Do you grit your teeth and carry on? Lie down? Pop a pill and hope the pain goes away? There is a better alternative.

Research shows that spinal manipulation – one of the primary treatments provided by doctors of chiropractic – may be an effective treatment option for tension headaches and headaches that originate in the neck.  Headaches have many causes, or “triggers.” About 5 percent of all headaches are warning signals caused by physical problems. The remaining 95 percent of headaches are primary headaches, such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. The greatest majority of primary headaches are associated with muscle tension in the neck.

One of the most common triggers for headaches is cervicogenic problems, meaning ‘arising from the neck’. It’s possible to have a cervicogenic headache in the absence of neck pain.  Postural strain can cause the neck to become misaligned. Stress from sitting at a desk or computer in one fixed position or posture or from driving accumulates quickly because these are activities we spend a lot of time doing. Traumatic injuries such as slip and fall accidents, auto accidents or athletic injuries cause misalignments in the spine and tension in muscles. This can increase joint irritation and muscle tension in the neck, upper back and scalp, causing your head to ache.

Fortunately, modern chiropractic care has a lot to offer headache sufferers. Chiropractic treatment helps decrease the occurrence of headaches by improving the balance of the upper neck. Chiropractic has proven through numerous studies to be highly effective and provide longer and more permanent relief for headaches than even some of the most highly touted wonder drugs. Because headaches are a common health issue, people often accept the idea that they are a normal, inevitable part of life. But headaches, particularly those that recur, are signs that something is wrong. Aspirin and other medications relieve the pain of tension headaches, migraines and cluster headaches without correcting the underlying causes. Moreover, analgesics often cover up the warning signs associated with neck, head and back pain.  When those causes are eliminated so also are the headaches that come from them. Chiropractic care provides lasting relief by removing the causes of headaches and it does so safely. Drugs, on the other hand are designed to put out fires once they’ve started. The preferable solution is obvious and that is why studies and patients support chiropractic for the care and cure of headaches.

Helping headache sufferers is a daily occurrence in chiropractic clinics. In our practice we see patients whose primary complaint is headaches and we also see patients who come in for general health care and remark that their headaches have vanished since the start of their chiropractic treatments. In all cases the result is less pain and greater health.